Overcoming Work-Related Stress.
Do you find yourself sleep deprived, unable to think straight, tired, easily irritable, feeling pressured, constantly overwhelmed by work and unable to meet deadlines? You are likely to be experiencing stress. More specifically, work-related stress. This cannot only hinder your work life but also have negative impact on your personal life.
FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO FEEL LIKE YOU’VE REACHED THE BRINK, WE’D LIKE TO SUGGEST A FEW WAYS THAT YOU CAN OVERCOME THIS;
- Identify your stressors. Analyze your experience and try to recognize situations that are causing you to be stressed. Is it the lack of time, miscommunication or anxiety? Understanding the reason can help you stop your triggers from pushing you too far.
- Identify your relaxers. Just like it is important to know what stresses you out, you must also know what calms you down. Whether it’s a breathing technique, some time off for yourself or a power nap, knowing what helps you beforehand can help you manage stress when you need to.
- Saying no. It can be more than difficult to say no to work but it is necessary you know when to say it. No one appreciates work that is badly done and a stressed person cannot deliver good work. If you must, speak to your supervisor about what’s on your plate and arrange it so that the tasks assigned to you are achievable.
- Prioritize.More often than not, the work you’ve been given has been dished to you because of your capabilities. It is your responsibility to arrange them such that it fits within your time and helps the flow of your work. Divide your work and delegate then if possible, give yourself first draft deadlines before the final hand in and ask questions if you need to. This saves the person reviewing your work time and yourself from making revised versions over and over again.
- Work at work.Separate your work life from your personal life. When you have a habit of bringing work home and not setting yourself proper hours to achieve your goals, it can feel like you are constantly working. You will start associating personal spaces with your job which is never ideal. This can easily be avoided if you minimize your distractions during your 9 to 5 and complete your tasks before leaving.
- Positive Reinforcements. As cheesy as it sounds, appreciating yourself can be a very powerful and empowering experience. Give yourself credit for what you’ve accomplished, forgive yourself for your mistakes and remind yourself what you are capable of.
Prevention is the best cure and it’s no different for stress. As a PR Agency in Mumbai, the heart of a highly burnt out workforce, we are always encouraging our employees to maintain work-life balance for better well-being and increased productivity.